Blog Post #4

Your PLN and Inclusion

Image result for diversity and inclusion
How diverse is your existing PLN?
In recent years, the keywords of diversity and inclusiveness frequently appear especially in the field of learning. Diversity and inclusion play a significant role in PLN. I had a hard experience recently. I have a group project in my EDCI335 class this semester. And we separated the work and finished it on time. However, one of our group members is not satisfied with the grade and he left the group without a word. I conclude that the reason why he left the group is we did not behave the diversity within the group and he is not inclusive to others. I feel very sad about that. I hope the learning and cooperation within the group could be more inclusive and I will work more to motivate and engage connections between people in the community.

In your PLN, are you learning from various voices, or are you the loudest in the room?
In my PLN, I am learning from various voices but not I am not the loudest in the room. The loudest in the room must not be the most knowledgeable. I am a good listener and I made lots of friends. They enjoy talking with me and I love people telling the stories as well. I always conclude the experience which I collect from others’ stories and take it into my life. Thus, I rather become a learner than a leader. After the accumulation of the various experiences or voices, I might become the loudest( a leader or a teacher) afterward.

Do you participate in a silo of information sharing (similar themes or a wide range of interests)?
An information silo means you are limited to exchange information in a small group of people. The best way to develop and comprehend the sharing of information is bravely express and expound your idea. I understand most people do not like to do the presentation or speak in front of lots of people. If you don’t speak, you never notice your vulnerability and change it.

How can you use a diverse PLN to broaden your views of inclusion?
I strive to make the PLN as different as possible, respect and give play to the characteristics of each person in the network. Diversity is to realize the differentiation of people in the network, and inclusiveness is to create an inclusive environment for them with differences so that each person can comfortably contribute the maximum potential to the network. Each of us can choose our own skills, have our own voice, speak our own language, represent different cultures, and see the world from different perspectives and ways. Diversity and inclusion will subvert people’s thinking and bring unprecedented innovation.

In your professional setting of choice, do you think inclusion is actively embraced?
In my professional computer science, I think inclusion is actively embraced. The computer design and any thought of the goal of the design aim to let users easily understand and operate the product. Computer Engineers who develop software reduced the redundant process in order to improve people’s work efficiency. The inclusiveness reflects in that the software users could be very different. They might have a different race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, generation, disability, personality type, thinking style (Mascarenhas, M. 2020). In this case, I believe inclusiveness is comprehensively adopted.

What is the learning outcome of your PLN and how are you ensuring your exposure to diversity and inclusion?
In the Youtube video, Shelley Moore takes bowling as an example. She mentions that when she plays bowling, there are always two pins left after the shot. She metaphor two pins as the kid needs the most support and the kid needs the most challenge. The diverse PLN aims to find a path to enable help all the learner without missing any one of them. It inspired me that awareness of the different types of people is important. If you don’t pay attention to the unimpressive person in the network, you will never know what brilliant idea he/she would present.

How has your thinking about inclusion and PLN evolved after reviewing the videos and readings?
After reviewing the videos and readings, I think inclusion is the most valuable aspect of PLN. It is important to bring awareness to unconscious bias and discuss it in the PLN. I would make a fairly and equally communicated workplace in my PLN. Avoid bias and impolite comments existing but maintain the voices from different perspectives.s When we recognize the differences and learn to respect and value each individual from irrelevant backgrounds the power of diversity and inclusion will be released and its benefits reflected.

1.Chow, C. (2021, January 3). 15 Ways to Improve Diversity and Inclusion in the Workplace. SocialChorus. https://socialchorus.com/blog/15-ways-to-improve-diversity-and-inclusion-in-the-workplace/

2. Moore, S., Miller,J. (2021, February 07). EDCI 338 A01 Week 5 A Conversation with Shelley Moore. February 09, 2021, YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGx0ejnMLVc&feature=youtu.be

3. Shelley Moore: Transforming Inclusive Education. (2016, April 4). [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYtUlU8MjlY&feature=emb_title

4. Mascarenhas, M. (2020, May 29). Diversity & Inclusion: 5 Lessons from Top Global Companies. Aperian Global. https://www.aperianglobal.com/leaders-diversity-inclusion-5-lessons-top-global-companies/

2 thoughts on “Blog Post #4

1. Hey Qianhe! I completely agree with you that respect is a must when interacting with people within your PLN. I am similar to you as I am more of a learner than “the loudest in the room”. I like how you said you take other people’s stories and apply them to your life. That is a great way to learn and I fully support that way of learning from others’ experiences. Also, your statement, “Each of us can choose our own skills, have our own voice, speak our own language, represent different cultures, and see the world from different perspectives and ways.” is a great point, everyone lives life to their own accord but you must also consider those around you. Understanding diversity allows for one to increase their view on inclusion.

• Thank you for comment my blog! I hope we can study from PLN and spread cognitive information to those people who need a hint and a hand. In this case, we not only enhance our learning experience but also expand the range of our PLN.
      Qianhe